OLT.com Customer Service Knowledge Base
Support Center > Knowledge base> Category: Filing Status, Dependents, Exemptions
Category: Filing Status, Dependents, Exemptions
38 Articles
Orange arrow What is considered disabled for tax purposes?

  A person is permanently and totally disabled if the person cannot engage in any substantial gainful activity because of a physical or mental condition and a doctor has determined that this condition (a) has lasted or can be expected to last continuously for at least a year, or (b) can be expected t...
Orange arrow Can I file Married Filing Joint?

  You may choose this status if any of the following is true: You were married as of December 31, even if you did not live with your spouse at the end of the tax year, or Your spouse died in the tax year and you did not remarry in the tax year, or Your spouse died in the current year b...
Orange arrow Can I file without a Social Security Number for my dependent?

  You must list the social security number (SSN) or individual tax identification number (ITIN) of any person included on the tax return. Note: If your dependent does not have and cannot get an SSN, you must list the individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) or adoption taxpayer identifica...
Orange arrow Head of Household Qualifying Dependent

  Head of Household This filing status is for unmarried individuals who provide a home for certain other persons. (Some married persons who live apart may also qualify, and some persons married to a nonresident alien may also qualify. See below.) You may file head of household only if as of December...
Orange arrow How do I file a return for a deceased taxpayer?

  When using the filing status: Married Filing Joint as the surviving spouse, On the personal information screen for the deceased individual, you must check the dial next to deceased. After continuing, you will be prompted to enter the taxpayer's date of death and identify yourself as the surviving s...
Orange arrow Self-Exemption Rule

  Deduction for personal exemptions suspended For 2018 (through 2025), you can’t claim a personal exemption deduction for yourself, your spouse, or your dependents. The exemption value will appear as zero on the return....
Orange arrow What is the Dependent Test ?

  You cannot claim any dependents if you, or your spouse if filing jointly, can be claimed as a dependent by any other taxpayer You cannot claim a married person who files a joint return as a dependent unless that joint return is only a claim for refund and there would be no tax liability for either...
Orange arrow How do I claim a qualifying parent or ancestor?

  A qualifying parent or ancestor of your parent may be any one of the following. Your parent, or your parent's ancestor. Your parent's ancestor is your grand parent, great grand parent, great great grand parent, etc. If married filing a joint return, your spouse's parent or an ancestor of ...
Orange arrow What is a qualifying dependent relationship for EIC?

  In general, to be a taxpayer's qualifying child, a person must satisfy four tests: Relationship: the taxpayer's child or stepchild (whether by blood or adoption), foster child, sibling or stepsibling, or a descendant of one of these. (Note: There are new rules to determine who is a foster child ...
Orange arrow Can I file as an injured spouse?

  Form 8379 is filed by one spouse (the injured spouse) on a jointly filed tax return when the joint overpayment was (or is expected to be) applied (offset) to a past-due obligation of the other spouse. By filing Form 8379, the injured spouse may be able to get back his or her share of the joint refu...
Orange arrow Head of Household Filing Status

  This filing status is for unmarried individuals who provide a home for certain other persons. You can check the box at the top of Form 1040 or 1040-SR only if you were unmarried or legally separated under a decree of divorce or separate maintenance at the end of the year and either Test 1 or Test 2...
Orange arrow Support Test for Dependents

  Generally, you need to provide over half of the person's support during the year. However, there are special rules for children of divorced or separated parents, and for persons receiving support from two or more individuals (see separate FAQ's for these). To determine whether you meet this test, ...
Orange arrow Retirement Savings Contribution Credit

  You may be able to take this credit if you, or your spouse if filing jointly, made (a) contributions (other than rollover contributions) to a traditional or Roth IRA; (b) elective deferrals to a 401(k), 403(b), governmental 457(b), SEP, SIMPLE, or to the federal Thrift Savings Plan (TSP); (c)...
Orange arrow What is the support test for dependents of separated or divorced parents?

  A child will be treated as the qualifying child or qualifying relative of his or her noncustodial parent (defined in theForm 1040 instructions) if all of the following conditions apply: The parents are divorced, legally separated, separated under a written separation agreement, or lived apart at...
Orange arrow Dependents Relationship Test

  To meet this test, a person must either: Live with you for the entire year as a member of your household, AND Be related to you in one of the ways listed under Relatives who do not have to live with you. If at any time during the year the person was your spouse, that person cannot be your de...

Page: 1 of 3