Support Center > Knowledge base> Article: Error IND-509 Spouses SSN

Error IND-509 Spouses SSN

Article ID: 93889 Email Print
Error IND-509 Spouses SSN


If your error indicates that your spouse's SSN has already been used on another return, there are 4 common causes of this error:

1) You have incorrectly entered a SSN on your return, or

2) Your spouse filed a separate return,

3) Your spouses SSN has been claimed on another return (even by mistake), 

4) You are trying to file an amended return -you can not do this electronically. You can use our service to prepare an amended return, however you would need to paper file Form 1040X. Please first verify the information you entered for this individual to ensure it was entered correctly.

How to correct this error: 

From our homepage, click on sign in to access your account.  Select the current return that is rejected.

Next, select the Personal and Familyuy tab and then continue to the Spouse Information page.  Select to revisit to review and/or edit the information.

If the SSN was entered incorrectly, you must remove the entire number and then re-enter it to make the correction on our site.

If you have entered your spouse's name and SSN correctly, but still received this error, you will be required to paperfile this tax season. You will do this by clicking on the Tax Summary tab on the top of the page and then save and continue to the Examine, Verify and Print screen to print and mail your forms. Please note that you must include all tax reporting documents, W-2's, 1099's, etc, when paper filing. 

Once you have made your correction you will then save and continue to the end of your return and resubmit.

*We strongly recommend checking the status of your return in 24-48 hours using the Login to My Income Tax Return link to verify that your return has been accepted.

related articles

Article Details
Views: 373 Created on: Dec 06, 2017
Date updated: Dec 12, 2018
Posted in: Rejections

Poor Outstanding