The IRS uses the following entries to verify the filers:
(1) Last Year Adjusted Gross Income OR
(2) Last Year Self Select Pin
If one of those entries matches the IRS database, you will receive e-file acceptance.
Your AGI(adjusted gross income) is located on form 1040 line 37, form 1040A line 21, or 1040 EZ line 4. Enter as a whole number (no dollar sign, no decimal, or no cents).
If you did not file last year, please enter 0 on the prior year AGI question.
If you last year AGI was negative, please enter 0 on the prior year AGI question.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- I filled out Last Year Adjusted Gross Income and the IRS rejected it.
Answer: If you did not file a tax return last year or if you filed late (return was processed after November 17, 2018), then enter $0 as the adjusted gross income and resubmit the return.
- I have negative AGI last year. What should I enter? Answer: If you last year AGI was negative, please enter 0 on the prior year AGI question.
- I have tried everything and my return keeps getting pin error rejection.
Answer: You will need to file it on paper (by mailing in).