Support Center > Knowledge base> Article: What is error IND-025?

What is error IND-025?

Article ID: 59800 Email Print
PIN Error rejection


The most common error is in the PIN (electronic signature).  More specifically, the Prior Year Adjusted Gross Income OR  Prior Year PIN do not match what is on the IRS File.

The self select PIN page serves as your signature on your tax return for e-file. Information entered on this page must match IRS records exactly.  If you filed a joint return the previous year, with the same spouse, you will enter the same amount of AGI for both individuals on the return.  It is not a divided amount.  You will need a copy of the return you filed the previous year to find this amount if you do not recall the PIN you used as your signature.  You are only required to use one or the other (PIN or AGI) and not both. 

How to make corrections: 

From our homepage, click on sign in to log in and access your account.  Select the current return that is rejected.

Next, select the Review tab on the top of the page. Then save and continue to  the Self Select PIN page where you will correct this error.

If you e-filed your tax return last year, enter the PIN that you chose last year on the line where we ask for the Last year 5 Digit PIN. If you do not remember what you selected for your PIN last year, you will leave that field blank and enter the AGI (adjusted gross income) from a copy of the return you filed.  It is the  line of a 1040 and says THIS IS YOUR ADJUSTED GROSS INCOME. (Enter the amount as a whole number only, no commas, decimals, or change)

*If you did not e-file your tax return last year, you do not have a prior year PIN and will need to enter your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI). Your AGI must match the IRS's records exactly so please obtain a copy of the return you filed last year.

**If you did not file a return at all last year, you will enter a 0 (numeric zero) for the prior year AGI amount and leave the prior year pin blank.  Then simply decide what 5 digit PIN you will use to sign electronically and enter it in the current year PIN field to file online.

*** If you are under age 16, you cannot efile your return the first year you file.  You must print and mail.

Once you have made your correction you will then save and continue to the end of your return and resubmit.


Here is the information from the IRS website:

There are several ways to find your prior-year AGI:


Preferred Method

You should always retain a copy of your tax return.  

  • On your 2017 tax return, your AGI is on line 37 of the Form 1040; line 21 on the Form 1040-A or line 4 on the Form 1040-EZ.
  • If you used a paid preparer last year, you might obtain a copy of last year’s tax return from that preparer.
  • If you are using the same tax preparation software that you used last year, that software will likely have your prior-year tax return for you to access.
  • If you’re not using the same tax preparation software as last year, you may be able to return to your prior-year software and view an electronic copy of your prior-year return.
  • If you have been issued an Identity Protection (IP) PIN  (via a CP01A), you should enter it when prompted by your software. It will serve to verify your identity.
  • If you are a first-time filer over the age of 16 enter zero as your AGI.

Alternative Methods

If you do not have a copy of your 2017 tax return, you may use a Get Transcript self-help tool to get a Tax Return Transcript showing your AGI.

  • Use Get Transcript Online to immediately view your AGI. You must pass the Secure Access identity verification process. Select the Tax Return Transcript and use only the “Adjusted Gross Income” line entry.
  • Use Get Transcript by Mail or call 800-908-9946 if you cannot pass Secure Access and need to request a Tax Return Transcript.  Please allow 5 to 10 days for delivery. Use only the “Adjusted Gross Income” line entry.



related articles

Article Details
Views: 1966 Created on: Jun 15, 2013
Date updated: Dec 13, 2018
Posted in: Rejections

Poor Outstanding