Who needs to pay Wisconsin use tax?

Article ID: 33593  

Who needs to pay Wisconsin use tax?


Did you make any taxable purchases from out-of-state firms in 2014 on which sales and use tax was not charged? If yes, you must report Wisconsin sales and use tax on these purchases on line 34 if they were stored, used, or consumed in Wisconsin. You must also report sales and use tax on taxable purchases from a retailer located in another country, regardless of whether you were charged any tax for that country or any duty by the U.S. Customs Service.

Taxable purchases include furniture, carpet, clothing, computers, books, CDs, DVDs, video tapes, certain digital goods (e.g., greeting cards, video games, music, and books, transferred electronically), artwork, antiques, jewelry, coins purchased for more than face value, etc.

Example You purchased $300 of clothing through a catalog or over the Internet. No sales and use tax was charged. The clothing was delivered in a county with a 5% tax rate. You are liable for $15 Wisconsin tax ($300 x 5% = $15) on this purchase.

If you do not include an amount on line 34, place a checkmark in the space provided to certify that you do not owe any sales or use tax. Only returns certified as "no use tax due" will be recognized as filing a sales/use tax return.


Article Details
Views: 730 Created on: Jun 15, 2013