How do I report 1099-K income?

Article ID: 58779  

How do I report 1099-K income?


You need to file Schedule C if you earned income from your sole proprietorship (owned your own business, not a partnership or corporation), received a W-2 showing wages and expenses as a statutory employee, received income and deductions from qualified joint ventures, or if you received a 1099-MISC showing earnings in Box 7, or if you recieve a 1099-K Payment Card  and Third Party Network Transactions.

Schedule C form is broken up into multiple sections. Below you will find a brief explanation.

Part 1: Income (this is where your 1099-K income is included)

The income section of the Schedule C is used to report and calculate your gross income from your business.

Report your gross receipts or sales from your business. Do not reduce this amount by any expenses. Expenses will be entered later and will reduce this total.  There is a place to enter your 1099-K income in the investment section.

You must also report as income amounts from bad debts you recovered, scrap sales, interests you charged customers on their account receivables, state gasoline and fuel tax refunds, prizes and awards, and other income related to your business.

Part 2: Expenses

You may deduct many expenses incurred by your business during the tax year. Some expenses that you can deduct include utilities, advertising, vehicle expenses, depreciation of property, and insurance.

Vehicle expenses can be deducted in two ways: actual expenses (if you have all of the proper documentation), or you may take the standard mileage rate. The standard mileage rate changes each year.

Depreciation of property can be taken to gradually deduct the cost of assets that will last more than one year, such as computers, vehicles, and other equipment that will last more than one year.

Business travel, meals and entertainment expenses that are deductible include lodging, transportation, tips, and other services necessary for business. Meals and entertainment expenses are only allowed to be deducted up to 50% of your total costs.

Pension and profit sharing plans are deductible, but only contributions you made for your employees are to be reported to Schedule C. Any pay-ins for yourself must be reported to Form 1040 instead.

Part 3:  Cost of Goods Sold

In most cases, if you engaged in a trade or business in which the production, purchase, or sale of merchandise was an income-producing factor, you must take inventories into account at the beginning and end of your tax year.

Part 4:  Information on Your Vehicle

Part 5:  Other Expenses


Article Details
Views: 3834 Created on: Jun 15, 2013