Get the POWER of PRO!
Support Center > Knowledge base> Article: Iowa Expenses for Care of Disabled Relative

Iowa Expenses for Care of Disabled Relative

Article ID: 34415 Print
Iowa Expenses for Care of Disabled Relative


Expenses Incurred for Care of a Disabled Relative:

Expenses, not to exceed $5,000, incurred in caring for a disabled relative in your home may be deducted. The expenses must be for the care of a person who is your grandchild, child, parent, or grandparent. The disabled person must be unable, by reason of physical or mentaldisability, to live independently and must be receiving or be eligible to receive medical assistance benefits under Title 19 of the U.S.

Social Security Act. Only expenses that are not reimbursed can be claimed. An itemized list of expenses must be included with the return. Items may include food, clothing, medical expenses not otherwise deductible, and transportation. The following expenses cannot be included: rent, mortgage payments, interest, utilities, house insurance, and taxes.

A statement from a qualified physician certifying that the person with the disability is unable to live independently must be submitted with the return the first year the deduction is taken and every third year thereafter.

MARRIED SEPARATE FILERS: The total deduction claimed by both spouses for each relative with a disability may not exceed $5,000. This deduction must be divided between husband and wife in the ratio of their respective net incomes.

related articles

Article Details
Views: 952 Created on: Jun 15, 2013
Date updated: Nov 11, 2014

Poor Outstanding