Get the POWER of PRO!
Support Center > Knowledge base> Article: Michigan Homestead Credit - Renters

Michigan Homestead Credit - Renters

Article ID: 33397 Print
Michigan Homestead Credit - Renters


Rent That Can Be Claimed for Credit 
You must be under a lease or rental contract to claim rent for credit.

  • If you rent or lease housing that is subject to a service charge or fees paid instead of property taxes, you may claim a credit based upon 10 percent of the gross rent paid. Use the amount the landlord gives you and enter on MI-1040CR, line 47, and follow instructions.
  • If your housing is exempt from property tax and no service fee is paid, you are not eligible for credit. This includes university- or collegeowned housing.
  • If your housing costs are subsidized, base your claim on the amount you pay. Do not include the federal subsidy amount.
  • If you are a mobile home park resident, claim the $3 per month specific tax on line 7, and the balance of rent paid on line 8.
  • If you are a cooperative housing corporation resident member, claim your share of the property taxes on the building. If you live in a cooperative where residents pay rent on the land under the building, you may also claim 20 percent of that land rent. (Do not take 20 percent of your total monthly payment).
  • When you pay room and board in one fee, you must also determine your tax that can be claimed for credit based on square footage.

related articles

Article Details
Views: 1399 Created on: Jun 15, 2013
Date updated: Aug 12, 2015
Posted in: STATES, Michigan

Poor Outstanding