If your federal return is amended, resulting in changes to your taxable income or any amount affecting the Virginia return, you must file an amended Virginia return within one year. If the IRS provided documentation that acknowledges acceptance of your federal amended return, enclose a copy with the Virginia amended return. In addition, if you file an amended return with any other state that affects your Virginia income tax, you must file an amended Virginia return within one year. The Department may issue a refund only if the amended return is filed within:
• 3 years from the due date of the original return, including valid filing extensions;
• 1 year from the final determination of the amended federal return or federal change, whichever is later, provided that the allowable refund is not more than the decrease in Virginia tax attributable to the federal change or correction;
• 1 year from the final determination of the amended return of any other state or change or correction in the income tax of the taxpayer for any other state, provided that the refund does not exceed the amount of the decrease in Virginia tax attributable to such change or correction;
• 2 years from the filing of an amended Virginia return resulting in the payment of additional tax, provided that the current amended return raises issues relating solely to the prior amended return and that the refund does not exceed the amount of the tax payment made as a result of the prior amended return; or
• 2 years from the payment of an assessment, provided the amended return raises issues relating only to the prior assessment and the refund does not exceed the amount of tax paid on the prior assessment.