OLT.com Customer Service Knowledge Base
Support Center > Knowledge base> Article: Form 4136 Credit for Federal Tax Paid on Fuels

Form 4136 Credit for Federal Tax Paid on Fuels

Article ID: 58974 Print
Form 4136 Credit for Federal Tax Paid on Fuels


Use Form 4136 to claim a credit for certain nontaxable uses (or sales) of fuel during the income tax year. Also use Form 4136 if you are claiming the alternative fuel credit, a blender claiming a credit for diesel-water fuel emulsion, or a producer claiming a credit for an alcohol fuel mixture, a biodiesel or renewable diesel mixture, or an alternative fuel mixture.

Instead of waiting to claim an annual credit of Form 4136, you may be able to file:

  • Form 8849, Claim for Refund of Excise Taxes, to claim a periodic refund; or

  • Form 720, Quarterly Federal Excise Tax Return, to claim a credit against your fuel tax liability.

Partnerships (other than electing large partnerships) cannot file this form. Instead, they must include a statement on Schedule K-1 (Form 1065), Partners Share of Income, Deductions, Credits, etc., showing the allocation to each partner specifying the number of gallons of each fuel used during the tax year, the applicable credit per gallon, the nontaxable use or sale, and any additional information required to be submitted.

You must keep records to support any credits claimed on this return for at least 3 years from the date the return is due or filed, whichever is later.

For more information see IRS Instructions for Form 4136.

related articles

Article Details
Views: 2359 Created on: Jun 15, 2013
Date updated: Dec 01, 2021
Posted in: Credits

Poor Outstanding