OLT.com Customer Service Knowledge Base
Support Center > Knowledge base> Article: Kansas Resident or Nonresident

Kansas Resident or Nonresident

Article ID: 58801 Print
Kansas Resident or Nonresident


KANSAS RESIDENTS. A Kansas resident for income tax purposes is anyone who lives in Kansas, regardless of where they are employed. An individual who is away from Kansas for a period of time and has intentions of returning to Kansas is a resident. If you were a Kansas resident for the entire year, you must file a Kansas individual income tax return if: 1) you are required to file a federal income tax return; or, 2) your Kansas adjusted gross income is more than the total of your Kansas standard deduction and exemption allowance.

NONRESIDENTS. If you are not a resident of Kansas but received income from Kansas sources, you must file a Kansas return regardless of the amount of income received from Kansas sources (see Kansas Source Income as provided in Schedule S Part B Instructions). If your employer withheld Kansas taxes from your wages in error, you must also file a Kansas return in order to receive a refund, even though you had no income from Kansas sources. A letter from your employer on company letterhead and signed by an authorized company official explaining the error must accompany your return. The letter must state the amount of wages and withholding applicable to Kansas.

PART-YEAR RESIDENTS. You are considered a part-year resident of Kansas if you were a Kansas resident for less than 12 months during the tax year. As a part-year resident, you must include the dates that you were a resident in Kansas on Form K-40 and complete Part B of Schedule S.

related articles

Article Details
Views: 2723 Created on: Jun 15, 2013
Date updated: Dec 16, 2021
Posted in: States, Kansas

Poor Outstanding