Support Center > Knowledge base> Category: Income
Category: Income
52 Articles
Orange arrow Minister and Religious Worker,How to report income tax for for Members of the Clergy, Minister, and Religious Worker

  For income tax purposes, a licensed, commissioned, or ordained minister is generally treated as a common law employee of his or her church, denomination, or sect. There are, however, some exceptions such as traveling evangelists who may be treated as independent contractors. If you are a minister p...
Posted in: Income

Orange arrow Schedule K1-1065

  Purpose of Schedule K-1 The partnership uses Schedule K-1 to report your share of the partnerships income, credits, deductions, etc. Although the partnership generally is not subject to income tax, you are liable for tax on your share of the partnership income, whether or not distributed. Include ...
Posted in: Income

Orange arrow Exclusion on Sale of Main Home

  Ownership and Use Tests To claim the exclusion, you must meet the ownership and use tests. This means that during the 5-year period ending on the date of the sale, you must have: Owned the home for at least 2 years (the ownership test), and Lived in the home as your main home for...
Posted in: FAQ's, Income

Orange arrow What is considered nontaxable income?

  Nontaxable IncomeExamples include: Child support. Payments you received to help you pay your mortgage loan under the HFA Hardest Hit Fund or the Emergency Homeowners' Loan Program or similar state program. Any Pay-for-Performance Success Payments that reduce the principal balance of your home mo...
Posted in: Income

Orange arrow How Do I Enter The Income I Earned as a Minister?

  How to file Income Tax for Minister, Member of the Clergy and Religious Worker, As a minister who worked for your church employer, you should receive a W-2 from your church employer. You may also receive housing allowance or parsonage and self-employment income from performing wedding, baptism, a...
Posted in: FAQ's, Income

Orange arrow Where do I report nonemployee compensation?

  You have a 1099-MISC with income in box 7 - Nonemployee Compensation. Essentially, this means you are considered self employed for these wages. The person or company that paid you did not pay Medicare and Social Security taxes. Therefore, you are liable for Self employment tax unless this income is...
Posted in: Income

Orange arrow I have an amount in box 12 on my W-2. What is this?

  The following list explains the codes shown in box 12. You need this information to complete your tax return. A- Uncollected Social Security or RRTA tax on tips B- Uncollected Medicare tax on tips C- Taxable cost of group-term life insurance over $50,000 D- Elective deferrals to a section 4...
Posted in: Income

Orange arrow Form 1099-MISC

  File Form 1099-MISC, Miscellaneous Income, for each person to whom you have paid during the year: 1. At least $10 in Royalties and Substitute Payments in Lieu of Dividends or Interest 2. At least $600 in Rents, Services (including parts and materials), Prizes and Awards, Other Income Payments, ...
Posted in: Income

Orange arrow How do I claim a distribution from a foreign trust?

  Foreign-Source Income - You must report unearned income, such as interest, dividends, and pensions, from sources outside the United States unless exempt by law or a tax treaty. You must also report earned income, such as wages and tips, from sources outside the United States. If you worked abroad,...
Posted in: Income

Orange arrow Form K-1 (1041) - Purpose of Form

  Purpose of Form Use Schedule K-1 to report a beneficiary's share of the estate’s or trust’s income, credits, deductions, etc. on your Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. Keep it for your records. Do not file it with your tax return, unless backup withholding was reported in ...
Posted in: Income

Orange arrow Are my Social Security benefits taxable?

  If the only income you received during the year was your Social Security or equivalent tier 1 railroad retirement benefits, your benefits generally are not taxable and you probably do not have to file a return. Your social security benefits will not be taxed unless your adjusted gross income is ge...
Posted in: Income

Orange arrow Unemployment Compensation

  You should receive a Form 1099-G showing the total unemployment compensation paid to you last year. If you received an overpayment of unemployment compensation last year and you repaid any of it last year, subtract the amount you repaid from the total amount you received. Include the result in the...
Posted in: Income

Orange arrow Where do I report Form 1099-MISC?

  To enter your 1099-Misc, click on the Income Tab and then 1099-Misc on the income page. At least $10 in royalties or broker payments in lieu of dividends or tax-exempt interest (see Box 8); At least $600 in rents, services (including parts and materials), prizes and awards, other income paym...
Posted in: Income

Orange arrow I do not have a W-2 for one of my employers. What do I need to do?

  In general, employers must provide employees with a Form W-2 by January 31. However, if you leave your employer before the end of the year and request your Form W-2, your employer must provide your Form W-2 within 30 days of your request. If you do not receive your Form W-2, you still must file you...
Posted in: Income

Orange arrow How to file Foreign Income

  If you are a U.S. citizen or a resident alien of the United States and you live abroad, you are taxed on your worldwide income. However, for US tax purposes, you may qualify to exclude from your income up to the foreign earned income exclusion amount for that tax year. In addition, you may be able ...
Posted in: Income

Page: 1 of 4