Kansas Additions to Federal Adjusted Income

Article ID: 34354  

Kansas Additions to Federal Adjusted Income



If you have income that is not taxed or included on your federal return but is taxable to Kansas, complete lines A1 through A13 of Kansas Schedule S.


LINE A1: Enter interest income received, credited or earned during the taxable year from any state or municipal obligations such as bonds and mutual funds. Reduce the income by any related expenses (management or trustee fees, etc.) directly incurred in purchasing the state or political subdivision obligations. Do not include interest income on obligations of the state of Kansas or any Kansas political subdivision issued after 12/31/87 or the following bonds exempt by Kansas law: Board of Regents Bonds for Kansas colleges & universities; Electrical Generation Revenue Bonds; Industrial Revenue Bonds; Kansas Highway Bonds; Kansas Turnpike Authority Bonds; and, Urban Renewal Bonds.


If you are a shareholder in a fund that invests in both Kansas

and other states’ bonds, only the Kansas bonds are exempt. Use the information provided by your fund administrator to determine the amount of taxable (non-Kansas) bond interest to enter here.


LINE A2: Individuals affected are state employees, teachers, school district employees and other regular and special members of KPERS; and regular and special members of the Kansas Police and Firemen’s Retirement System as well as members of the Justice and Judges Retirement System. Current employees: Enter the amount you contributed from your salary to the Kansas Public

Employees’ Retirement System (KPERS) as shown on your W-2 form, typically box 14. Retired employees: If you are receiving RETIREMENT checks from KPERS , the amount of your retirement income is subtracted on line A18—Retirement benefits specifically exempt from Kansas income tax. Make no entry on this line unless you also made contributions to KPERS during 2013 (for example, you retired during 2013). Lump Sum Distributions: If you received a lump sum KPERS distribution during 2013, include on line A2 your 2013 KPERS contributions and follow the instructions for line A26, Other subtractions from federal adjusted gross income.


LINE A3: Enter any federal net operating loss carry forward claimed on your 2013 federal return.


LINE A4: Enter any business loss as determined by the federal Internal Revenue Code (IRC) and reported on both federal Schedule C and line 12 of your Form 1040.


LINE A5: If you have a Kansas expensing recapture amount from Schedule K-120EX, enter the amount on line A5 and enclose a copy of your completed K-120EX and federal Form 4562.


LINE A6: Enter any loss from rental real estate, royalties, partnerships, S corporations, estates, trusts, residual interest in real estate mortgage investment conduits and net farm rental as determined by the federal IRC and reported on both federal Schedule E and line 17 of your Form 1040.


LINE A7: Enter any farm loss as determined by the federal IRC and reported on federal Schedule F and line 18 of your Form 1040.


LINE A8: Enter the amount of self-employment deduction from line 27 of your federal Form 1040 to the extent this deduction is attributable to income you reported on Schedule C, E or F and on line 12, 17 or 18 of your federal Form 1040.


LINE A9: Enter deduction for self-employed SEP, SIMPLE, andqualified plans as reported on line 28 of your federal Form 1040.


LINE A10: Enter deduction for health insurance paid by self-employed individuals included on line 29 of your federal Form 1040.


LINE A11: Enter domestic production activities as reported on line 35 of your federal Form 1040.


LINE A12: Enter amounts for the following additions on line A12:

  • Federal Income Tax Refund. Generally, there will be no entry for this unless you amended your federal return for a prior year due to carry back of an investment credit or a net operating loss which resulted in you receiving a federal income tax refund in 2013 for that prior year.

  • Partnership. S Corporation or Fiduciary Adjustments. If you received income from a partnership, S corporation, joint venture, syndicate, estate or trust, enter your proportionate share of any required addition adjustments. The partnership, S Corporation, or trustee will provide you with the necessary information to determine these amounts.

  • Community Service Contribution Credit. Charitable contributions claimed on your federal return used to compute the community service contribution credit on Schedule K-60.

  • Learning Quest Education Savings Program (LQESP). Any “nonqualified withdrawal” from the LQESP.

  • Amortization—Energy Credits. Any amortization deduction claimed on the federal income tax return to the extent the same is claimed for deduction with regard to credit schedule K-73, K-77, K-79, K-82 or K-83 and any amount claimed in determining federal adjusted gross income on carbon dioxide recapture, sequestration or utilization machinery and equipment, or waste heat utilization system property.

  • Ad Valorem or Property Taxes. Ad Valorem or property taxes paid by a nonresident of Kansas to a state other than Kansas or to a local government located outside Kansas, when the law of such a state does not allow a Kansas resident to claim a deduction of ad valorem or property taxes paid to a Kansas political subdivision in determining taxable income to the extent they are claimed as an itemized deduction for federal income tax purposes.

Article Details
Views: 985 Created on: Jun 15, 2013