I have an error that says me or my spouse have already filed a return.

Article ID: 59779  

I have an error that says me or my spouse have already filed a return.


If your error indicates that the primary taxpayer or the spouse have already filed on another return, first verify the last names and social security numbers that you entered match what is on the SS card, as that is a very common cause of this error.

How to correct this error: 

From our homepage, click on sign in to enter the username and password to access your account.  Click on the current year return that is rejected. 

Next, select the Personal and Family tab to verify infromation and to make any necessary corrections. Please note that you must first clear the entire social security number and then re-enter, it to make the correction on our site.

Once you have made your correction you will then save and continue to the end of your return and resubmit.

If all information is entered correctly, you will have to print and mail your return to the IRS to overcome this problem.  Remember to send a copy of all income statements (w2, 1099, ect) along with the return to avoid processing delays.

*We strongly recommend checking the status of your return in 24-48 hours using the Login to My Income Tax Return link to verify that your return has been accepted.

Article Details
Views: 704 Created on: Jun 15, 2013