How do I file an amended return for Iowa?

Article ID: 59630  

How do I file an amended return for Iowa?


Amended returns will take at least six months to process.

To amend a current return or a return for a prior year, use an IA 1040X.

Attach the Federal 1040X and any amended supplementary Federal or Iowa forms.

If your original return requested a refund, wait until you receive your refund before filing an amended return to make sure you made no errors on your original return.

If you owe additional tax with the amended return, calculate the tax, penalty and interest due and include both your check and the IA 1040-V Payment Voucher with the amended return. You may now make your tax payment online by debiting your bank account or with a credit card.

No penalty for additional tax is due if you voluntarily file an amended return and pay all tax due prior to any contact by the department. However, interest will be due.

Do not send amended returns with the current-year return.

If the original return was filed with our software, log in to your account and click on the amend return link.  All amended returns, federal and state, MUST be printed and mailed.

Article Details
Views: 840 Created on: Jun 15, 2013