How can I amend my Kansas state tax return?

Article ID: 59557  

How can I amend my Kansas state tax return?



You must file an amended Kansas return when:

  • 1) an error was made on your Kansas return,
  • 2) there is a change (error or adjustment) on another states return,
  • 3) there is a change (error or adjustment) on your federal return.

Check the AMENDED box in the Filing Information section of the K-40 if you are amending your Kansas return.

Pay the full amount of tax and interest due on an amended return and no late pay penalty will be assessed. Refer to the department's web site for annual interest rates.

AMENDED FEDERAL RETURN: If you are filing an amended federal income tax return, Form 1040X, for the same taxable year as this amended return, you must enclose a complete copy of the amended federal return and full explanations of all changes made on your amended Kansas return. If your amended federal return is adjusted or disallowed, it is necessary to provide the Department of Revenue with a copy of the adjustment or denial letter.

If you did not file a Kansas return when you filed your original federal return, and the federal return has since been amended or adjusted, use the information on the amended or adjusted federal return to complete your original Kansas return. A copy of both the original and amended federal returns should be enclosed with the Kansas return along with an explanation of the changes.

FEDERAL AUDIT: If you know that a previously filed federal return was not correct, or if your original return was adjusted by the Internal Revenue Service, amended returns or copies of the Revenue Agent's Reports must be submitted within 180 days of the date the federal adjustments are paid, agreed to, or become final, whichever is earlier. Failure to properly notify the Director of Taxation within the 180 day period will cause the statute of limitations to remain open (Department of Revenue could make assessments for as many years back as necessary).

AMENDED RETURNS: In general, amended returns must be filed with the Department of Revenue within three (3) years of when the original return was filed. If the amended return will result in a refund to you, the amended return may be filed within three (3) years of when the original return was filed, or within two (2) years from the date the tax was paid, whichever is later.

Article Details
Views: 719 Created on: Jun 15, 2013