Navy College Program > Topic Listing> Article: TA authorizations for non-credit language courses

TA authorizations for non-credit language courses

Article ID: 99420 Email Print
Will TA fund language courses?


If the course is listed on a degree plan or can fulfill a general education or elective requirement, TA may fund a foreign language course. Also, per the DODI 1322.25 with Change 3,
“(1) Use of TA for non-degree oriented language courses is limited to those published by the USD(P&R) on the DoD Strategic Language List.

“(2) Dominant-in-the-force languages and languages deemed by the DoD as already having sufficient strategic capacity will not be funded under section 2007 of Reference (f), except for assignments outside the continental United States.”

TA is authorized for non-degree oriented language courses requested by a Sailor who is transferring to a foreign location or at a foreign location for the purpose of gaining proficiency in the host nation’s language. The following stipulations apply:

a. The institution of higher learning offering the language course must be an IHL approved by DOD to receive TA.
b. The course must not be a Continuing Education Unit.
c. The Sailor must meet all other TA eligibility requirements.
d. The Sailor must have met with a Navy College Office or NCVEC counselor and have the language courses reflected on an Education Plan.
e. Non-degree oriented language courses paid for with TA count against the Sailor’s annual TA cap.

related articles

Article Details
Views: 139 Created on: May 13, 2019
Date updated: May 24, 2019
Posted in: Eligibility

Poor Outstanding