Amended Returns must be filed on paper by mail.
A federal amended return is completed on a 1040-X. State amended returns are completed on the approved form for that state.
WEB Software Instructions
If the original tax return was filed by you through our software:
- Choose to Manage this client return
- Within the Client Manager, navigate to the Return Details Screen
- Under the Federal/State Summary, choose to File Amended Return
- Follow the software prompts and print all applicable forms to mail with the return
If the original tax return was filed by another company:
- When the original return was filed by another company, obtain the original 1040 copy that was filed as you will need this form to reference.
- Choose from the Client Manager Tab > New Return
- From the listing of what type of return to file, choose Form 1040X
- Input the information in the return as the new Form 1040 should show.
- We will prompt you after all return inputs for information from the originally filed Form 1040.
- Print all applicable forms to mail with the amended tax return
Desktop Software Instructions:
If the original return was filed by you through our software
- Go to the Client Manager Tab and choose to Manage Returns
- From their client manager, choose either the EDIT option or choose to FILE AMENDED RETURN
- From the EDIT option, we will list the return summary and provide a link to file the amended return
- Within the inputs, change any information needed on the return. Go to the 1040 X and verify the changes/calculation
- Print all applicable forms to mail with the tax return.
If the original return was not filed by you or not filed through our software:
- When the original return is not in your OLTPRO client database, you will create a new return for this taxpayer.
- From the Client Manager Tab, choose New Return
- Select Form 1040X as your return type being filed.
- Input the information in the return as the new Form 1040 should be displayed.
- Obtain a copy of your clients originally filed Form 1040 for reference and on the 1040X screen, input the needed information from their original form to allow our software to make the proper calculations.
- Print all applicable forms to be mailed to amend the return.
Use Form 1040X to correct Forms 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ, 1040NR, 1040NR-EZ, or 1040PC. (Please note we only offer amended returns for 1040, 1040A, and 1040EZ)
You may also use Form 1040X to:
- Make certain elections after the prescribed deadline (see Regulations sections 301.9100-1 through -3 for details) or
- Change amounts previously adjusted by the IRS. Do not include any interest or penalties on Form 1040X; they will be adjusted accordingly.
File a separate Form 1040X for each year you are amending. If you are changing your Federal return, you may also have to change your state return. Please note that it often takes 2 to 3 months to process Form 1040X.
File Form 1040X only after you have filed the original return. Generally, Form 1040X must be filed within 3 years after the date you filed the original return or within 2 years after the date you paid the tax, whichever is later. A return filed early is considered filed on the due date. A Form 1040X based on a bad debt or worthless security generally must be filed