Get the POWER of PRO!
Support Center > Knowledge base> Article: How do I file a New Jersey amended return?

How do I file a New Jersey amended return?

Article ID: 34078 Print
How do I file a New Jersey amended return?


If you received an additional tax statement (W-2 or 1099) after your return was filed, or you discovered that you made any error or omission on your return, file an amended New Jersey resident return, Form NJ-1040X. You must use Form NJ-1040X to change any information reported on your resident income tax return (Form NJ-1040 or return that was filed using NJ WebFile or approved vendor software). Failure to do so will result in delayed processing of your return and/or refund. Amended returns claiming a refund must be filed within three years from the time the return was filed or two years from the time the tax was paid, whichever is later. If the return is not received within this time limit, it will be considered out of statute and the refund claim will be disallowed.

When to File - File Form NJ-1040X only after you have filed your original resident income tax return and changes must be made to the original return.

Changes in Your Federal Income Tax or Federal Earned Income Credit. If you receive a notice from the Internal Revenue Service that they changed your reported income, and that change altered your New Jersey taxable income, or if you receive a notice that your Federal earned income credit has been changed, and that change alters your New Jersey earned income tax credit, you must notify the Division of the change in writing within 90 days. File an amended tax return and pay any additional tax due. If you file an amended Federal return which changes your New Jersey taxable income or your Federal earned income credit, you must file an amended New Jersey resident return, Form NJ-1040X, within 90 days.

related articles

Article Details
Views: 342 Created on: Jun 15, 2013
Date updated: Aug 31, 2015
Posted in: STATES, New Jersey

Poor Outstanding