Get the POWER of PRO!
Support Center > Knowledge base> Article: South Carolina Tuition Tax Credit

South Carolina Tuition Tax Credit

Article ID: 33939 Print
South Carolina Tuition Tax Credit


Qualifying Colleges and Universities

4-Year Independent Institutions (Credit - 25% of tuition paid, not to exceed $850 per tax year)
Allen University, Anderson University, Benedict College, Bob Jones University, Charleston Southern University, Claflin University,
Coker College, Columbia College, Columbia International University, Converse College, Erskine College, Furman University,
Limestone College, Morris College, Newberry College, North Greenville University, Presbyterian College, Southern Wesleyan
University, Voorhees College, Wofford College
* Qualifying tuition is limited to $10,809 per school year.

2-Year Institutions (Credit - 25% of tuition not to exceed $350 per tax year)
Aiken Technical College, Central Carolina Technical College, Denmark Technical College, Florence-Darlington Technical College,
Greenville Technical College, Horry-Georgetown Technical College, Midlands Technical College, Northeastern Technical College,
Orangeburg-Calhoun Technical College, Piedmont Technical College, Spartanburg Methodist College, Spartanburg Community
College, Technical College of the Lowcountry, Tri-County Technical College, Trident Technical College, USC Lancaster, USC
Salkehatchie, USC Sumter, USC Union, Williamsburg Technical College, York Technical College
Annual Credit Hours Requirement

4-Year Public Institutions (Credit - 25% of tuition paid, not to exceed $850 per tax year)
The Citadel, Clemson University, Coastal Carolina University, College of Charleston, Francis Marion University, Lander University,
Medical University of SC, South Carolina State University, University of South Carolina, USC Aiken, USC Beaufort, USC Upstate,
Winthrop University

Semester Credit Hours Requirement
A student attending one but not both of the spring and fall semesters must complete a semester credit hours requirement. Except
when enrolled in one of the colleges below, the semester requirement is 15 credit hours during the semester attended. The exceptions

A student attending both the spring and fall semesters at any college or university must complete an annual requirement of 30 credit
Information For Students With Disabilities
What credit limit ($350 or $850) do I use if the student attends 2-year and 4-year institutions within the same tax year?
A student who qualifies to include credit hours from 2-year and 4-year institutions within the same taxable year has a maximum
credit amount of $850.
When a student qualifies by completing the semester requirement of credit hours, does tuition for non-semester credit
hours qualify for the credit?
You may claim tuition paid for non-semester credit hours only if the student is seeking a degree from the school offering the
course and if the student graduated from high school before the course began. A student seeking a degree at one college or
university may transfer to another college or university in order to seek a degree and qualify at both schools.
To which year does the payment apply?
The tuition must be claimed in the year in which it is paid. The tuition qualifies for the credit if the student qualifies for the credit in
the year of payment.
May a student who transfers from out of state to an in-state college or university become eligible?
The student could only become eligible by enrolling in the in-state college or university within 12 months of graduating high school
and by qualifying for in-state tuition.

How many credit hours must a student complete to be eligible for the credit?
The student must complete at least 30 credit hours (15 if only attending one semester) at the end of the taxable year for which the
credit is claimed, or its equivalent as determined by the Commission on Higher Education. Meeting the credit hour requirements
at the institution for "full time" status is not a determining factor for the tuition tax credit. See the I-319 instructions for equivalent
credit hour requirements.

What if tuition is paid by more than one person?
If an eligible student and a qualifying individual have both contributed to paying qualified tuition, then each may claim the credit in
an amount equal to the total credit, multiplied by the amount of qualified tuition paid by each, divided by the amount paid by both.
Complete one I-319 for all who contributed. To determine each individual's credit, multiply the total credit by the tuition paid by the
individual and divide by the amount shown on line 6. Attach a copy of the I-319 to each return.
Example: Student pays $1,500 in tuition. Parent pays the remaining $7,000. If together they are entitled to the maximum $850
credit, Student is entitled to $150, and Parent is entitled to $700.
Social Security Privacy Act Disclosure

Fore more information please see form i319 instructions.

related articles

Article Details
Views: 903 Created on: Jun 15, 2013
Date updated: Sep 25, 2015

Poor Outstanding