You may use OLTPRO to do a direct debit payment when filing the Virginia return. Here are more payment options:
Online Services for Individuals
Online Services for Individuals offers a variety of free online options for payment of Individual Income Tax, using either your checking or savings account.
- Use Web Payments to make a payment (balance due) on a 760, 763, 760PY return filing that has not yet been billed
- Pay quarterly estimated income tax for the current year
Check or Money Order
- Attach your check or money order, payable to the Treasurer of your city or county, to your return
- Include your SSN, phone number and specific tax year to be paid on your check le an extension income tax payment
- Mail to:
Virginia Department of Taxation
PO Box 2369
Richmond, Virginia 23218
In cooperation with the Department of Taxation, Official Payments Corporation offers the opportunity to pay taxes by phone or online. In order to process your payment, Official Payments Corporation, the credit card service provider, charges a convenience fee based on the amount of the transaction. Use your credit card to pay:
- Notice of Assessments / Consolidated Bill Statements
- Individual Estimated Tax Payments
- Balance Due Individual Income Tax Returns
To pay by credit card, call 1-800-2PAY-TAX or visit Official Payments. For all payments, enter the Virginia jurisdiction code (1080) when prompted.
To ensure proper posting of the payment to your tax account, provide the following information:
- Type of tax or payment
- 5-digit bill number
- Your credit card information
- Amount of the tax or payment
- Your 9-digit SSN (individuals) or 15-digit account number (businesses)
The system will provide the total payment amount including convenience fee, a request for your approval and a confirmation number.
This automated payment plan system is available 24/7 at (804) 440-5100. Have your 9-digit SSN or your business's 9-digit FEIN when calling Teleplan.
If the Department of Taxation accepts the terms of your payment plan request (monthly or semi-monthly) you must:
- pay the balance due
- timely file and pay all future returns
Teleplan will not set up an automated payment plan if one of the following conditions are on your account.
- padlock, revocation, criminal warrant, bond or hold
- third party lien, pending lien, bankruptcy, existing payment plan or assignment to an Outside Collection Agency
If the terms of the payment plan request are not accepted / not eligible, your call will be transferred to a Tax Representative. For calls made outside of business hours, Teleplan advises you to call back during regular hours to speak with a Tax Representative. You may contact them directly at (804) 367-8045, Monday - Friday, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm.
ACH Credit Payments
Payments made for Employer Withholding Tax, Corporate Income Tax, Sales and Use Tax, Communications Tax, and Motor Vehicle Rental Tax can be made using ACH Credit. Insurance companies may also use ACH Credit to pay their Insurance Premiums License Tax.
To use ACH Credit, contact your financial institution to make arrangements with them to credit the State's bank account with funds from your bank account. Your financial institution will tell you what ACH orgination services it offers and any associated costs. Prior to submitting an ACH credit payment, ensure your company is registered for all applicable taxes with the Virginia Department of Taxation.
For additional information about using ACH Credit review a copy of the Electronic Payment Guide below.
Payment Fee - Returned Payments
If your financial institution does not honor any payment to us, the Tax Department may impose a fee of $35 (Code of Virginia § 2.2-614.1). This fee is in addition to any other penalty/interest related to the account/filing. You may resubmit your payment via the Online Services for Individuals, Online Services for Businesses, Credit Card, Check or Money Order methods described on this page.
For details on the reason payment was not honored, please contact your financial institution. For details on all fee/penalty/interest types, reivew the Penalties and Interest page.