Support Center > Knowledge base> Article: Injured Spouse

Injured Spouse

Article ID: 60246 Email Print
Can I claim injured spouse on my Iowa return?


The “injured spouse” designation is not recognized by the State of Iowa when using Status 2: Married filing a joint return or Status 3: Married filing separately on a combined return.

If your spouse's refund will be used to pay a federal, state, county or city debt, you must use the IA 1040 Long Form, filing Status 4: Married filing separate returns to prevent your refund from being applied to your spouse's debt.

Examples of "debt" include unpaid child support, college loans, tax, court fees and fines, and overpayments of ADC / FIP, food stamps/SNAP, and unemployment.

related articles

Article Details
Views: 1067 Created on: Jun 15, 2013
Date updated: Dec 30, 2019
Posted in: States, Iowa

Poor Outstanding