Support Center > Knowledge base> Article: Iowa Tuition and Textbook Credit

Iowa Tuition and Textbook Credit

Article ID: 59958 Email Print
Who can claim the Iowa tuition and textbook credit?


Taxpayers who have one or more dependents attending Kindergarten through 12th grade in an accredited Iowa school may take a credit for each dependent for amounts paid for tuition and textbooks. Dependents must have attended a school in Iowa that is accredited under section 256.11, not operated for a profit, and adheres to the provisions of the U.S. Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Calculating the Credit

Calculate the proper amount of expenses per dependent and multiply the amount – not to exceed $1,000 – by 25% (.25).

Keep records of your calculation, showing the name of each dependent, school(s) attended, and an itemized list of qualifying expenses.

Enter the total allowable credit on line 44.

Example-Students Patty and Mark have qualifying expenses of $1,400 and $700 respectively. Their parents can take a credit of $250 (25% of $1,000 maximum) for Patty and $175 (25% of $700) for Mark, for a total credit of $425. 

Divorced or separated parents-Only the spouse claiming the dependent can claim the amounts paid by that spouse for tuition and textbooks for that dependent.

Home schooling-Expenses for textbooks or other items for home schooling, tutoring, or schooling outside an accredited school do not qualify for the credit.


related articles

Article Details
Views: 710 Created on: Jun 15, 2013
Date updated: Dec 17, 2018
Posted in: States, Iowa

Poor Outstanding