Support Center > Knowledge base> Article: Iowa Claim of Right

Iowa Claim of Right

Article ID: 59954 Print
Can I take a claim of right deduction?


Claim of Right Deduction

If income was repaid in the tax year and was reported and taxed on a prior Iowa return, that income may be deducted on the current tax return. You may take either the deduction or take a credit, but not both.

Example of Claim of Right Deduction 

A taxpayer reported $7,000 in unemployment benefits on their Iowa return last year. Later the taxpayer was notified that $4,000 of the unemployment benefits had to be repaid. The benefits were repaid in the current tax year. The taxpayer may claim a $4,000 income adjustment on the same year Iowa return.


related articles

Article Details
Views: 398 Created on: Jun 15, 2013
Date updated: Dec 30, 2019
Posted in: States, Iowa

Poor Outstanding