Support Center > Knowledge base> Article: Do I have to claim my federal tax refund on my Iowa return?

Do I have to claim my federal tax refund on my Iowa return?

Article ID: 59952 Email Print
Do I have to report my federal tax refund on my IA return?


If you received a refund of federal income tax during 2018:

You must report the amount on this line. It must be reported even if you used the standard deduction on the prior year's Iowa return. The federal refund must be included on this line because you benefited from being able to deduct federal taxes on the prior year's Iowa return, which reduced your Iowa taxable income for that year. The amount reported on this line should not exceed the total amount of any federal tax deduction taken on the prior year(s) Iowa return.

Include the following:

  • The refund you received from your 2017 federal tax return

To find the amount you received, check your records or call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040. This information is not available from the Iowa Department of Revenue.

  • Any federal refunds received in 2018 for other years that were amended or filed late
  • Any portion of the federal refund received in 2018 due to excess FICA payments or the Fuel Tax Credit from federal form 4136 if they were claimed as a federal tax payment on line 33 of a prior year Iowa return.

Federal estimated tax

If you chose to have any part of an overpayment of federal income tax credited to estimated tax payments for 2018, the amount should be claimed as 2018 estimated tax paid on line 32. The total federal overpayment must also be reported on line 27.

Do NOT include any part of a federal refund from refundable federal credits, including the following:

  • Earned Income Tax Credit
  • Additional Child Tax Credit
  • First-time Homebuyer Credit
  • Existing Homebuyer Credit
  • Refundable Education Credit
  • Net Premium Tax Credit

related articles

Article Details
Views: 777 Created on: Jun 15, 2013
Date updated: Dec 17, 2018
Posted in: States, Iowa

Poor Outstanding