Support Center > Knowledge base> Article: Retirement Savings Contribution Credit

Retirement Savings Contribution Credit

Article ID: 59948 Email Print
Retirement Savings Contribution Credit


You may be able to take this credit if you, or your spouse if filing jointly, made:

  • Contributions to a traditional or Roth IRA
  • Elective deferrals to a 401(k), 403(b), governmental 457, SEP, or SIMPLE plan,
  • Voluntary employee contributions to a qualified retirement plan (including the Federal Thrift Savings Plan), or
  • Contributions to a 501(c)(18)(D) plan.

However, you cannot take the credit if either of the following applies:

  • The amount on Form 1040, line 7 is more than $31,500 ($47,250 if head of household; $63,000 if married filing jointly).
  • The person(s) who made the qualified contribution or elective deferral (a) was born after January 1, 1997, (b) is claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return, or (c) was a student (defined below).

You were a student if during any 5 months of the tax year you: 

  • Were enrolled as a full-time student at a school or
  • Took a full-time, on-farm training course given by a school or a state, county, or local government agency.

A school includes technical, trade, and mechanical schools. It does not include on-the-job training courses, correspondence schools, or school offering courses only through the Internet.

For more details, use TeleTax topic 610 or see Form 8880.

OnLine Taxes will calculate this credit for you if you qualify based on the information entered.

related articles

Article Details
Views: 1211 Created on: Jun 15, 2013
Date updated: Dec 10, 2018

Poor Outstanding