Purpose of Form
Use Form 4136 to claim the following.
• The biodiesel or renewable diesel mixture credit.
• The alternative fuel credit.
• A credit for certain nontaxable uses (or sales) of fuel during your income tax year.
• A credit for blending a diesel-water fuel emulsion.
• A credit for exporting dyed fuels or gasoline blendstocks. Attach Form 4136 to your tax return. Instead of waiting to claim an annual credit on Form 4136, you may be able to file:
• Form 8849, Claim for Refund of Excise Taxes, to claim a periodic refund; or • Form 720, Quarterly Federal Excise Tax Return, to claim a credit against your excise tax liability.
You can’t claim any amounts on Form 4136 that you claimed on Form 8849 or Form 720, Schedule C. If you report a tax liability on Form 720, you may be required to offset your tax liability with any credits you claim before claiming a credit on Form 4136 or a refund on Form 8849.
Form 4136 can’t be used by ultimate vendors to make gasoline claims.