Support Center > Knowledge base> Article: Spouses social security number

Spouses social security number

Article ID: 59766 Email Print
Problems with spouse's social security number


Spouse SSN in the Return Header must not equal a Dependent SSN [ or Qualifying Child's SSN
for 1040SS(PR) ] on this tax return or on another tax return.

If you recieved this error information, it indicates that your spouse has been claimed on another return.  Please verify the spouse SSN to be sure it is typed into the program correctly.  If it is not you can follow the steps to correct it.  If it is and you receive this error, you will need to print and mail your return to file it with this spouse on it. 

How to correct this error: 

From our homepage, click on sign in to access your account.  Select the current return that is rejected.

Next, select the Personal and Family tab, then revisit  the Spouse Information screen to correct this error. If you have entered your spouse's name and SSN correctly you will need to contact the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213 as they are the record keepers for the IRS. You will need to find out what data they have on file for your spouse and will need to use this data in order to e-file. Please consider that if the year of birth is significantly incorrect you will need to paperfile as this could affect credits, etc.

Once you have made your correction you will then save and continue to the end of your return and resubmit.

*We strongly recommend checking the status of your return in 24-48 hours using the Login to My Income Tax Return link to verify that your return has been accepted.

related articles

Article Details
Views: 901 Created on: Jun 15, 2013
Date updated: Dec 12, 2018
Posted in: Rejections

Poor Outstanding