Support Center > Knowledge base> Article: Who must File a DC return?

Who must File a DC return?

Article ID: 59704 Email Print
Who must File a DC return?


Who must file a DC Income tax return?

You must file a 2018 DC Individual Income tax return if:

• You were a District of Columbia (DC) resident in 2018 and were required to file a federal income tax return.  (A resident is an individual whose permanent legal residence is within the District during the taxable year);

• You maintained a place of residence in DC for a total of 183 days or more during 2018 even if your permanent residence was outside DC (see instructions for part-year residents, page 27);

• You were a member of the United States (US) armed forces and DC was your legal residence for tax purposes for all or part of 2018.

• If you want to receive a refund of DC taxes withheld during the  year, or if you qualify for and want to receive the following refundable credits: 

     o The DC Earned Income Credit;  o Schedule N, Non-Custodial Parent Earned Income Credit; 

     o  Schedule H, Homeowner and Renter Property Tax Credit; or 

     o  Schedule ELC, Early Learning Tax Credit.

Note: If you are the spouse/registered domestic partner of someone not required to file, such as a non-resident Congressional appointee, and you meet any of the above requirements, you yourself must file.

related articles

Article Details
Views: 1404 Created on: Jun 15, 2013
Date updated: Jan 04, 2019

Poor Outstanding