Support Center > Knowledge base> Article: How Do I Amend My Illinois State Tax Return?

How Do I Amend My Illinois State Tax Return?

Article ID: 59577 Print
How Do I Amend My Illinois State Tax Return?


You should file Form IL-1040-X, Amended Individual Income Tax Return, if you need to change a previously filed Form IL-1040, Individual Income Tax Return, due to a change that affects items used to figure your Illinois net income or credits.

Your change can occur from a state change or a federal change, i.e.,

  1. an amendment of your federal income tax return,
  2. an adjustment made by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), or
  3. any other recomputation or redetermination.

You should file Form IL-1040-X only after you have filed a processable Illinois Income Tax return. You must file a separate Form IL-1040-X for each tax year you wish to change. Do not file another Form IL-1040 with “amended” figures to change your originally filed Form IL-1040.

NOTE: Do not file Form IL-1040-X if you are only changing your name, address, or Social Security number. Instead, forward this information to the address provided under ‘‘What if I need assistance?’’.

For more information, please see the instructions for IL-1040-X listed on their website,

related articles

Article Details
Views: 1587 Created on: Jun 15, 2013
Date updated: Jan 20, 2020
Posted in: States, Illinois

Poor Outstanding