Support Center > Knowledge base> Article: Who is required to file a Kansas state tax return?

Who is required to file a Kansas state tax return?

Article ID: 59565 Print
Who is required to file a Kansas state tax return?


KANSAS RESIDENTS. A Kansas resident for income tax purposes is anyone who lives in Kansas, regardless of where they are employed. An individual who is away from Kansas for a period of time and has intentions of returning to Kansas is a resident. If you were a Kansas resident for the entire year, you must file a Kansas individual income tax return if: 1) you are required to file a federal income tax return; or, 2) your Kansas adjusted gross income is more than the total of your Kansas standard deduction and exemption allowance.

MINOR DEPENDENTS. A minor child claimed on another person’s return can claim a standard deduction of $500 or the amount of their earned income (wages) up to $3,000, whichever is greater. Unearned income (such as interest and dividends) over $500 is taxable to Kansas and a Kansas return must be filed. If the taxable income (line 7, Form K-40) is zero, a return is not required. However, you must file a Kansas individual income tax return to receive any refund of taxes withheld, regardless of the amount of total income.

NONRESIDENTS. If you are not a resident of Kansas but received income from Kansas sources, you must file a Kansas return regardless of the amount of income received from Kansas sources (see Kansas Source Income as provided in Schedule S Part B Instructions). If your employer withheld Kansas taxes from your wages in error, you must also file a Kansas return in order to receive a refund, even though you had no income from Kansas sources. A letter from your employer on company letterhead and signed by an authorized company official explaining the error must accompany your return. The letter must state the amount of wages and withholding applicable to Kansas

PART-YEAR RESIDENTS. You are considered a part-year resident of Kansas if you were a Kansas resident for less than 12 months during the tax year. As a part-year resident, you must include the dates that you were a resident in Kansas on Form K-40 and complete Part B of Schedule S.

MILITARY PERSONNEL. The active and reserve duty service pay of military personnel is taxable ONLY to your state of legal residency, no matter where you are stationed during the tax year. If your home of record on your military records is Kansas, and you have not established residency in another state, you are still a Kansas resident and all of your income, including your military compensation, is subject to Kansas income tax. If you are a nonresident of Kansas but are stationed in Kansas due to military orders, you must file a Kansas return if you received income from Kansas sources. Only income from Kansas sources is used to determine the Kansas income tax due for nonresident military service members. Nonresident service members will subtract out the amount of their military compensation on Schedule S, line A12. Kansas income for services performed by a non-military spouse of a nonresident military service member is exempt from Kansas income tax. To qualify for this exemption, the non-military spouse must be residing in Kansas solely because the military service member is stationed in Kansas under military orders. Non-military spouses of service members stationed in Kansas will subtract out their Kansas source income on Schedule S, line A12.

NATIVE AMERICAN INDIANS. Income received by native American Indians that is exempt from federal income tax is also exempt from Kansas income tax. Income earned by a native American Indian residing on his/her tribal reservation is exempt from Kansas income tax only when the income is from sources on his/her tribal reservation. If any such income is included in the federal adjusted gross income, it is subtracted on Schedule S, line A16

related articles

Article Details
Views: 1066 Created on: Jun 15, 2013
Date updated: Dec 09, 2020
Posted in: States, Kansas

Poor Outstanding