Support Center > Knowledge base> Article: How can I determine if I am a resident of Kansas?

How can I determine if I am a resident of Kansas?

Article ID: 59563 Email Print
How can I determine if I am a resident of Kansas?


A Kansas resident for income tax purposes is anyone who lives in Kansas, regardless of where he or she is employed. An individual who is away from Kansas for a period of time and has intentions of returning to Kansas is a resident.

If you are not a resident of Kansas, but you received income from Kansas sources, you must file a Kansas Individual Income Tax return regardless of the amount of income received from Kansas sources.
If your employer withheld Kansas taxes from your wages in error, you must also file a Kansas return in order to receive a refund, even though you had no income from Kansas sources. A letter from your employer on company letterhead and signed by an authorized company official explaining the error must accompany your return. The letter must state the amount of wages and withholding applicable to Kansas.

You are a part-year resident of Kansas if you were a Kansas resident for less than 12 months during the tax year. As a part-year resident, you have the option to file your Kansas return either as a resident or as a nonresident.

related articles

Article Details
Views: 1164 Created on: Jun 15, 2013
Date updated: Dec 26, 2018
Posted in: States, Kansas

Poor Outstanding