Support Center > Knowledge base> Article: How Do I File an Extension for Maryland?

How Do I File an Extension for Maryland?

Article ID: 59531 Email Print
How Do I File an Extension for Maryland?


If necessary, you may request an extension of time of up to six months beyond the filing deadline to file your return.

If you already requested an extension from IRS for your federal return and you do not owe additional state tax, you receive an automatic six-month extension for filing your Maryland return.

If no tax is due and you did not request a federal extension, you can request a six-month Maryland extension online or by calling 410-260-7829 from Central Maryland or toll-free 1-800-260-3664 from elsewhere.

If you do owe additional state tax and need an extension of time to file, you must file Form 502E by the due date and enclose a check or money order for the amount you expect to owe. You can also pay by credit card. You can pay by direct debit if you file electronically. You should file Form 502E only if you are making a payment with your extension request.

No request will be granted for an extension of more than six months, unless you are out of the United States, in which case you may request an extension of up to one year. If you are stationed in a combat zone, see Military and Support Personnel Serving in a Combat Zone.

Estate tax extension

You may request an extension of up to six months to file a Maryland estate tax return, or up to one year if the person required to file the return is out of the United States. For more information, see Filing Extension for Estate Tax

related articles

Article Details
Views: 1098 Created on: Jun 15, 2013
Date updated: Dec 19, 2018
Posted in: States, Maryland

Poor Outstanding