Support Center > Knowledge base> Article: How Do I File an Extension for Maryland?

How Do I File an Extension for Maryland?

Article ID: 59531 Print
How Do I File an Extension for Maryland?


Who must file for an extension?

If you cannot complete and file your Form 502, 505, 510C or 515 by the due date, you should complete the Tax Payment Worksheet to determine if you must file for an extension. If line 6 of the worksheet shows you owe tax, you must file Form PV and pay the full amount due by April 15, 2021, (or the 15th day of the fourth month following the close of the tax year). If the due date falls on a Saturday, Sunday or legal holiday, the return must be filed by the next business day.

NOTE: Filing an extension does not extend the time for paying your taxes.

Do not file for an extension if, after completing the PVW, you find that you do not owe additional tax.

However, please be aware that if an unpaid liability is disclosed when you file your return, you may owe penalty and interest charges in addition to the tax. See “Will I owe penalties and interest?”.

Automatic Maryland six-month extension

If you filed a federal extension and expect to owe zero tax to Maryland we grant you an automatic six-month extension of time to file your Form 502, 505, 510C or 515. You are not required to file for an extension in order to obtain this automatic extension. However, you should use Form PV to pay any tax due of forms 502, 505, and 515, but you should use Form EL102B to pay any tax due or payment with extension of form 510C in order to avoid any late-payment penalty and interest on tax not paid by April 15, 2021.

Note: In the case of Form 510C, the PVW must be completed to estimate the payment.

Requesting a Maryland extension when not requesting a federal extension:

(1) Request your extension by telefile at 410-260-7829 from Central Maryland or 1-800-260-3664 from elsewhere; or, (2) Request your extension at

related articles

Article Details
Views: 1211 Created on: Jun 15, 2013
Date updated: Dec 10, 2020
Posted in: States, Maryland

Poor Outstanding