Child and Dependent Care Credit (Schedule M1CD)
Am I eligible?
If you (and your spouse if filing a joint return) had earned income, you may be eligible for a credit based on your qualified expenses. You must have documentation showing the expenses you paid for one or both of the following:
• Someone to care for your child or other qualifying person
• Someone for household services To qualify for the credit, all of the following must be true:
• Your adjusted gross income is less than $64,230 with one qualifying person or less than $76,230 with two or more qualifying persons.
• Your filing status is not married filing separate.
• The qualifying person lived with you for more than half of the year.
The Minnesota credit is refundable, meaning you may benefit even if you have no state tax liability. This is different from the federal credit, which you can only use to offset tax.
If you are a part-year or nonresident, you may be eligible for this credit based on your percentage of earned income taxable to Minnesota.
Before you complete this schedule, complete federal Form 2441 even if you did not claim the federal credit.