Support Center > Knowledge base> Article: Can I claim the Retirement Savings Contribution Credit?

Can I claim the Retirement Savings Contribution Credit?

Article ID: 59320 Print
Can I claim the Retirement Savings Contribution Credit?


You may be able to take this credit if you, or your spouse if filing jointly, made (a) contributions (other than rollover contributions) to a traditional or Roth IRA, (b) elective deferrals to a 401(k), 403(b), governmental 457, SEP, or SIMPLE plan, (c) voluntary employee contributions to a qualified retirement plan as defined in section 4974(c) (including the federal Thrift Savings Plan), or (d) contributions to a 501(c)(18)(D) plan.

However, you cannot take the credit if either of the following applies:

• The amount on Form 1040 or 1040-SR, line 8b; or Form 1040-NR, line 35, is more than $32,500 ($48,750 if head of household; $65,000 if married filing jointly).

• The person(s) who made the qualified contribution or elective deferral (a) was born after January 1, 2003; (b) is claimed as a dependent on someone else’s 2020 tax return; or (c) was a student.


You were a student if during any part of 5 calendar months of the tax year you:

•Were enrolled as a full-time student at a school, or

•Took a full-time, on-farm training course given by a school or a state, county, or local government agency.

A school includes technical, trade, and mechanical schools. It does not include on-the-job training courses, correspondence schools, or schools offering courses only through the Internet.


related articles

Article Details
Views: 1630 Created on: Jun 15, 2013
Date updated: Dec 03, 2020
Posted in: Credits

Poor Outstanding