All income an Iowa resident earns is taxable to Iowa to the same extent that it is taxable on the federal return even if the income was earned in another state, local jurisdiction in another state, or foreign country. If another state, local jurisdiction in another state, or foreign country taxes that same income, then the Iowa resident may be able to claim a credit on this line. Use form IA 130 to compute the Out-of-State Tax Credit.
- Nonresidents of Iowa cannot claim this credit.
- Part-year residents of Iowa may claim this credit only if the income they earned during that part of the year that they were Iowa residents was also taxed by another state, local jurisdiction in another state, or country.
- The state, local, or foreign income tax imposed on your income is the tax shown on the income tax return you filed with that state, local jurisdiction in another state, or country. It is not the amount that was withheld from your wages.
- An IA 130 form must be figured separately for each state, local jurisdiction in another state, or foreign country. Separate IA 130s are not required for foreign taxes paid by mutual funds or other regulated investment companies.
- The combined total of all credits cannot exceed the Iowa tax liability.
- This credit cannot be claimed for taxes paid on S corporation income passed through to the taxpayer if that income is apportioned through a claim for the S Corporation Apportionment Tax Credit as calculated on the form IA 134.
- Individuals using filing status 3 (Married Filing Separately on a Combined Return) or status 4 (Married Filing Separate Returns) must complete a separate form IA 130 for each spouse.
In order to receive the credit, a complete copy of your income tax return(s) filed with each state, local jurisdiction, or foreign country must be submitted with your Iowa return, along with a copy of the IA 130. If you are claiming the credit for taxes paid to a foreign country, include a copy of federal form 1116, Foreign Tax Credit if it is required with your federal return.