The property tax rebate may not exceed $350 ($175 for a married taxpayer filing a separate return).
You do not have to be 65 or older to be eligible for this rebate. If you are a Los Alamos or Santa Fe County resident who is age 65 or older on the last day of the tax year, you may be eligible for this rebate AND the Property Tax Rebate for Persons 65 or Older reported on line 17c. You must attach a property tax statement to your return if the mailing address on your Form PIT-1 is not a Los Alamos or Santa Fe County address.
Important: You must mark the check box indicating the county in which your principal place of residence was located, and of which you are claiming the additional low income property tax rebate for Los Alamos or Santa Fe county residents or your claim will be denied.
To qualify for the rebate a claimant must:
- Have a principal place of residence in Los Alamos or Santa Fe County;
- Have a modified gross income of $24,000 or less;
- Be a resident of New Mexico during the tax year;
- Be physically present in New Mexico for at least six months during the tax year;
- Be neither eligible to be claimed, nor actually claimed, as a dependent of another taxpayer; and
- Not be an inmate of a public institution for more than six months during the tax year.
This rebate is for the property tax billed during the tax year on your principal place of residence in New Mexico. There is no property tax rebate for property that is not already subject to property tax.