Support Center > Knowledge base> Article: How can I file an amended return?

How can I file an amended return?

Article ID: 58668 Print
How can I file an amended return?


On-Line Taxes, Inc. offers FREE current year amended returns for current year customers. In other words, if you file with us this year and it was accepted but you then discover you need to amend the return. No problem, just log into your account and click on the File an Amended Return link given on your "Tax Return Status" screen. You will be taken through the interview process to update the changes needed and then you simply print the amended return (form 1040X and any new forms generated) and continue through to e-file the current year federal amended return.  NY is the only state that allows amended returns to be e-filed, all other states must be printed and mailed.

  • Prior year Amended Returns MUST be mailed in. 
  • A federal amended return is completed on a 1040X.
  • State amended returns are completed on the approved form for that state and can be completed on our site as well. They must also be mailed in. (Select to amend the state after completion of the federal, the changes in the federal will pull through to the state)

File Form 1040X only after you have filed your original return either by mail or by accepted e-file. Normal processing time for Form 1040X is 8 to 12 weeks from the IRS receipt date.

Not a current customer of On-Line Taxes, Inc.? 

We are proud to offer affordable help in completing your amended return with a simple interview process for federal returns that were not orignally filed using OLT. Amended returns cost $49.95.  After you submit payment, we will generate the forms to e-file to the IRS for the current year or to print, sign, and mail for a prior year.

Generally, Form 1040X must be filed within 3 years after the date you filed the original return or within 2 years after the date you paid the tax, whichever is later. A return filed early is considered filed on the due date. A Form 1040X based on a bad debt or worthless security generally must be filed within 7 years after the due date of the return for the tax year in which the debt or security became worthless. For more details, see the IRS website.


related articles

Article Details
Views: 1947 Created on: Jun 15, 2013
Date updated: Dec 01, 2020
Posted in: FAQ's

Poor Outstanding